The best way to truly experience what Company 34 is all about is to become a live-in member. There are people all over the country who have spent a few years in 34′s bunkroom. Some went on to become doctors, lawyers, fire chiefs, and many other professions, but they all say the same thing: the time they spent living at 34 was some of the best years of their lives.
The live-in crew at 34 provides the bulk of the daily staffing. Make no mistake: you will run a ton of calls. Last year, the station responded to over 7100 incidents (keep in mind that multiple pieces of apparatus respond on about half of those calls).
The station also typically runs at least 40 working fires per year. Again, that’s not counting food on the stove or little mattress fires…that’s about 40 fires where there’s at least one room off. You WILL get the experience you’re looking for.
In addition to the fires, Langley Park is very busy area for EMS, including lots of traumatic injuries and complex medical calls. For those who are highly interested in EMS and/or have an aspiring career in medicine, the clinical experience that you gain at the CAVFD will be something that you remember for the rest of your life.
The chance to live and work full time with a group of people who are striving to achieve an identical goal is very rare. At Company 34, you will be bunking and riding with members who are there for one reason: because they love what they do and they love the firehouse that they belong to.
The bond is especially strong between members who join at the same time, as they find themselves studying and training together to get through their classes and to complete the CAVFD Probationary Manual. One thing is certain: people who live here may not stay forever, but they leave with friendships that will last a lifetime.
1. Invaluable experience that will set the tone for your entire fire service career.
2. Rent-free place to live (can establish residency at the firehouse for in state tuition).
3. Station 34 is located 1 mile from University of Maryland College Park and University of Maryland University College. The station is also convenient to Howard University, Catholic University, American University, Montgomery College, Prince George’s Community College, GW University, Georgetown University, and any other school in the DC Metro area!
4. Dresser, closet, bed, locker, and desk provided for each live-in.
5. Free cable TV, wireless broadband internet access, and all utilities.
6. Free fire & EMS training at the Maryland Fire & Rescue Institute.
7. State-sponsored tuition reimbursement (up to 100% of tuition paid) through the Maryland Higher Education Commission.
8. Federal tuition reimbursement program (FEMA SAFER Grant) to assist with tuition costs.